A Storm Of The Heart

I breezed out of my afternoon meeting, feeling buoyed, despite the rain and threatening weather outside, by the fact that it had concluded early leaving me with some bonus time I hadn’t expected in an otherwise booked schedule. As I walked into my office, I heard one of the assistants say, “Oh, she’s just walked in.  I’ll connect you right away.”

Then, Adventure Guy was on the line saying, “Now don’t panic, but…”

Has that statement ever prevented anyone from panicking?  If so, that person is not I, especially when he followed that part with, “but Joe White just called.”  Joe White is the president of the camps that my kids are attending right now.  He’s a great guy, but he doesn’t call parents in the middle of the afternoon to just chat about how things are going.

Dancer Girl was in an accident on the lake this afternoon.  She was tubing when they hit the wake wrong and she flipped, injuring her back.  At the time Adventure Guy and I first spoke, she was back at camp being evaluated by the on duty pediatrician.  She was walking but feeling tingling sensations in her extremities.  The word was they’d keep us posted.

I went to the bathroom and cried, unable to keep visions of my beautiful 14-year-old daughter as a paraplegic out of my mind.

I had another meeting, then ironically I needed to go pick up the preview shots of our recent family photo session.  Her smiling face in the pictures made the wait even worse.  I stocked up on Swedish Fish, my current drug of choice, on the way home.

As I began cooking dinner, the phone rang again. This time, the call came from the emergency room physician.  The camp doctor wanted Dancer Girl to have further tests to be certain he hadn’t missed anything.  By the time we heard, Dancer Girl had undergone a cat scan, which looked normal.  Because of her age, though, he planned to do an MRI as well.  Adventure Guy asked how Dancer Girl was doing.  I could hear the reply through the phone line, “She’s scared.”

I just about lost it at that point.  My baby, no matter how old she is, was at a hospital undergoing scary tests without me.  And there was absolutely nothing I could do to make that better.  Fortunately, the doctor said he’d get a phone in to her so that we could talk.  I had a few minutes to compose myself before she came on the line.

I could hear how hard she was trying not to cry, to be brave.  I told her how much we loved her, that it was okay to be scared but that it sounded like the doctors were just being careful.  I found out that her counselor and one of the camp nurses were there with her.  That was about all I could stand to do without breaking down again myself, so I turned things back over to Adventure Guy. 

Then we waited.  For a long time. 

Finally, we received another call from the emergency room.  The MRI looked completely normal as well.  Dancer Girl should be discharged in about half an hour.  We’ll get a call when she’s on her way back to camp. 

And, unlike the others, that’s a call I’ll be happy to get.




Filed under Kids

9 responses to “A Storm Of The Heart

  1. Oh, I would not have held it together very well either! I am so glad that it looks like she is fine. Storm of the heart indeed.

  2. How scary. I’m glad it’s been good news you’ve been getting, but the waiting and not being there has got to be hard, to say the least.

  3. Squib

    Oh my….I started tearing up reading this. This is my biggest fear when I send History Girl to Girl Scout Camp. I am not sure if I could have held it together as well as you did. I am so glad that she is ok.

  4. Scary stuff. I am sooo glad that there was a camp doctor on hand and that he rushed Dancer Girl to the ER. CAT scans and MRIs are so scary b/c the machines are big and noisy. I’m thankful her counselor was with her.

    Most of all, I am relieved to read that the scans were all negative. Now, who’s going to speak to the driver of the boat???

  5. (((Hugs))) to you and Dancer Girl. How very scary. I’m so glad the tests were normal.

  6. Calvin

    “Don’t panic” – my behind! My guess is it will take days, weeks or months to stop the panic sensation from this one!

    Thank goodness she’s not seriously hurt!

  7. Poor girl. I’m glad the tests turned out fine. But, still a scary experience for everyone involved. I hope she’s feeling well now.

    (I was surprised to read about my dad giving Adventure Guy a phone call. I thought, “Oooh, small world.” Then, read on…Dad doesn’t run a camp. He just piddles in his garden and peels peaches on his front porch.)

  8. Pingback: A Clean Sweep « Somewhere In The Suburbs

  9. Pingback: A Plague Upon My House « Somewhere In The Suburbs

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s